As we gear up for the respective 2020 and 2021 Papa John’s Trophy Finals, listed below are some great stats to arrange you for kick-off!
2020 Papa John’s Trophy Final
Portsmouth v Salford City
13 March 2021
- Portsmouth want to develop into the primary team ever to retain the Trophy, having received the last version in 2018/19 against Sunderland.
- Salford City are the 45th totally different team to play within the Final – that is the ninth consecutive final to see a minimum of one team characteristic within the Final for the primary time.
- That is the first-ever assembly between Portsmouth and Salford City in any competition.
- Portsmouth have lost their last three matches, all in League One – Pompey haven’t lost 4 in a row in all competitions since November 2017.
- Salford City’s solely earlier look at Wembley was within the 2018/19 National League Play-Off Final, winning 3-0 against AFC Fylde to achieve the EFL.
- This might be Portsmouth’s 10th look at Wembley and their seventh on the new Wembley. With the new Wembley as a impartial venue, solely Chelsea (23), Man Utd (19), Man City (17) and Arsenal (15) can have played there greater than Pompey (7).
- Portsmouth manager Kenny Jackett will develop into the first-ever manager to manage in three totally different EFL Trophy finals (2006 Swansea, 2019 Portsmouth beforehand). He’s at present certainly one of three managers to win the competition twice, together with Lou Macari and Steve McMahon.
- Having received their solely earlier Wembley look in 2019 against AFC Fylde, Salford want to develop into the primary team since Hull City in 2014 to win their first two matches on the stadium.
2021 Papa John’s Trophy Final
Sunderland AFC v Tranmere Rovers
14 March 2021
- Sunderland’s solely earlier EFL Trophy Final look was back in 2019 when, after a 2-2 draw, they have been overwhelmed 5-4 on penalties by Portsmouth.
- That is Tranmere Rovers’ first EFL Trophy final since 1991, once they lost 3-2 to Birmingham City. Their solely victory within the competition’s Final got here the year previous to that defeat, winning 2-1 against Bristol Rovers in 1990 under John King.
- Sunderland received each of their League One conferences with Tranmere last season by an combination score of 6-0, winning 5-0 at home and 1-0 away. Their last defeat to Rovers was in January 2000 within the FA Cup, a 1-0 away defeat to a Wayne Allison goal.
- Since beating Leeds within the 1973 FA Cup final, Sunderland are winless in seven matches at Wembley (D2 L5) – their two attracts on this run have each ended with penalty defeats: the 1997/98 Play-Off final against Charlton Athletic and the 2018/19 EFL Trophy final against Portsmouth.
- Tranmere Rovers have received 4 and lost 4 of their eight matches at Wembley – they’ve, nonetheless, received their last two video games there: the 2017/18 National League Play-Off Final against Boreham Wooden and the 2018/19 League Two Play-Off Final against Newport.
- Sunderland have scored 22 goals within the Papa John’s Trophy this season, just one shy of the report in a season set by Southend United in 1990/91 and Blackpool in 2001/02 (23 goals).
- Sunderland’s Charlie Wyke is the top-scoring player within the top 4 English divisions in 2021 in all competitions, netting 16 goals in 19 matches. Wyke can also be the joint top-scoring player on this season’s Papa John’s Trophy, alongside Fleetwood City’s Harvey Saunders with 5 goals.
- Tranmere Rovers have received 12 matches in 2021 in all competitions – amongst teams within the top 4 tiers of English football, solely Manchester City have received extra video games this calendar year (19).